replies
amybyrd21

homeschool project

Posted by amybyrd21 • 8/03/11
Subscribe to this Discussion [RSS]

I started a homeschool project for my children on my blog. I am asking people to send a map of your state or country, some place you like to visit in your state and about your favorite state food. I was hoping in the food catagory yall could help me out. I am looking for local favorites that are from your area or country. My children love to try different foods and explore different cultures. Any thing but bugs and offal is up for grabs here. I live in a place where we do not have a lot of access to diffrent cultures and different foods. When you post a recipe please tell me where it is from. That way when they study it they can learn more about where it is from.

Discussion Replies

1. LadyGourmet
    0 votes
    LadyGourmet (8/04/11)
    Great idea. Food does tell so much about the culture, land and climate. Bravo for you for homeschooling!! I will come with a recipe soon. Blessings, Catherine xo
    1. LadyGourmet
      0 votes
      LadyGourmet (8/05/11)
      Perhaps you would like the fried calamari recipe. It is an Italian dish. I posted it today. 8/5/11. I am so happy for your enthusiasm. I home schooled my two and am thrilled that I did. I know that they both liked it. Bravo to you Amy.
    2. amybyrd21
      0 votes
      amybyrd21 (8/05/11)
      Wesley and Bekka would love your calamari recipe. Wesley said he would never eat squid but when he went to Olive Garden and I ordered it he ate all of it. Then I told him what it was and he has been eating it ever since.
  2. sugarpies
    0 votes
    sugarpies (8/04/11)
    Which state do you want? My home state or the one where I now live? Both are pretty interesting. One is the epitome of Southern culture and the other is steeped in Spanish Colonial culture and foodways.
  3. amybyrd21
    0 votes
    amybyrd21 (8/04/11)
    Either one or both. I have Tennessee because that is where they have grown up.
  4. Theresa111
    0 votes
    Theresa111 (8/05/11)
    What a good project. I shall be back Saturday with my homework for them.
    1. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/05/11)
      The Chesapeake Bay Area has many wonderful recipes. I shall provide you with something regional, easy to prepare and delicious.
    2. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      www.foodsogoodmall.com/2011/03/crab-bomb.html

There is a famous restaurant in the maryland area Jerry's Seafood and they are know for their "Bombe". We love it!
    3. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      Here is all you ever wanted to learn about Chesapeake Old Bay Seasoning:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning
    4. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      All about the Chesapeake Bay region. Cool satellite map, too!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay
    5. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      The Chesapeake Bay region is well known for their blue crabs and even holds festivals to celebrate them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callinectes_sapidus
    6. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      Chesapeake Bay Oyster facts.

chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/fish-facts/oysters
    7. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      Cleaning the bay area so important!

www.cbf.org/clean
    8. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      Some great information on the hard shelled clams from this area.

www.chesapeakebay.net/bfg_hard_clam.aspx
    9. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/06/11)
      Fishing Report from The State of Maryland.

www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/index.asp
    10. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/16/11)
      Chesapeake

This is the type of sailing vessel which brought Europeans to America.

Here is a link you might find interesting Save The Chesapeake Foundation.

www.cbf.org/
  5. urbanideas
    0 votes
    urbanideas (8/06/11)
    Love the idea. Would you like from Wisconsin or Portugal or both?
  6. Belle
    0 votes
    Belle (8/06/11)
    I am sending you the following link to: www.oregonscenics.com/. It has pix of Oregon's magnificent mountains, seaside, waterfalls, lakes, and the city of Portland where I live. As for local foods, Oregon is the biggest producer of filberts, also known as hazelnuts, and we are big on coffee and beer. I'd recommend sharing the pictures with them, but not the beer and java!
  7. sugarpies
    0 votes
    sugarpies (8/06/11)
    OK, here we go.

I'm originally from South Carolina. Here's a bit on the history of the state: www.statelibrary.sc.gov/a-brief-history-of-south-carolina

While coastal South Carolina tends to be most well known to tourists because of the history of Charleston and the beauty of the beaches along the coast, it's actually pretty diverse. The middle of the state (where I grew up) is known as the Midlands and features both the Sand Hills which is a long band of very sandy soil just east of Columbia that represents a prehistoric coastline. Just west of Columbia the soil turns to red clay. Farther west is the Piedmont which is the foothill region of the Appalachian mountains.

One of the most famous dishes from the coast is Shrimp & Grits: www.discoversouthcarolina.com/see-do/food/flavors/breadssides/grits/default...

A very old joke is that people from Charleston are much like the Chinese, they eat a lot of rice and worship their ancestors. A traditional use of rice is in a type of stew called a "bog" it's similar in some respects to Louisiana's Jumbalaya. In fact, the French are an integral part of Charleston history. Following the French & Indian (Seven Years) War, many French were removed from Nova Scotia to Louisiana still a French colony. Several ships ran into foul weather and ended up in Charleston.

Chicken Bog: www.discoversouthcarolina.com/see-do/food/flavors/maincourses/chickenbog/de...

Moving up to my part of the state the most traditional meals tend to have German influence. Sauerkraut is a big part of the diet as are sausage based dishes like Liver Nips. Barbecue is huge in that area and we use a mustard based sauce that traces its roots to German immigrants who settled the area in the 18th Century to serve as a "buffer" between the Cherokee and genteel folks along the coast. In fact, the area I grew up in is known as the "Dutch Fork" (Dutch being a misspelling of Deutsch).

Carolina Gold Barbecue Sauce (used with pulled pork)

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups yellow mustard (two 20-ounce bottles of French's mustard should do the trick)
    8 ounces of beer (less for thicker sauce, more for thinner sauce)
    ½ cup apple cider vinegar
    8 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 cup tomato puree
    2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon cayenne
    1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

PREPARATION:
    Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and mix well. Cook until sauce just begins to thicken. Serve cool or warm. The sauce will last in the refrigerator for a long time.
    Makes about 6 cups.

Here's an article on Liver Nips and a recipe from my friend Sue Summer:
    www.newberryobserver.com/pages/full_story/push?article-WOMEN+IN+MOTION-%20&...

Finally, here's a recipe for a traditional dish served on New Year's day. This was a MUST for my family because tradition holds that if you don't have black eyed peas you won't have any coins (the peas represent pennies) and if you don't have collards you won't have any "green" (folding money). BTW: this is a very old dish. I had a great++++ grandfather who's nickname in the 1770's was "Hoppin' John" O'Dell.

www.discoversouthcarolina.com/see-do/food/flavors/maincourses/hoppinjohn/de...

I now live in Tucson, Arizona. The culture down here is heavily influenced by the proximity to Mexico and the fact Tucson is one of the oldest cities in the state and was a Spanish outpost in the 18th and early 19th centuries. cms3.tucsonaz.gov/history/tucson_history

If you've ever had a Chimichanga in a Mexican restaurant you have Tucson to thank. That dish was actually invented here: whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chimichanga.htm

The Sonoran Hot Dog is a local take on hot dogs that have become world wide sensations recently: tucsoncitizen.com/tucsontales/2009/12/10/tucsons-sonoran-hot-dog-like-a-chi...

The Mesquite tree provides much of the native shade in the area and the pods they produce contain seeds that can be ground into a flour. The Native Americans have used Mesquite flour for centuries and it is now becoming a big "fad" among organic types who buy it online. However, in Tucson there are several places that will grind your mesquite for you and local events to collect and grind the mesquite beans into flour. www.desertusa.com/lil/mesquite.html

Finally, no event in Southern Arizona is complete without a completely bogus "traditional food" attributed to our Native Americans - Indian Fry Bread. This honestly has little to do with them although many who live in the area began making this to sell to white people who craved something sweet: www.sugarpiesfood.com/2009/08/fry-bread.html

Photos of South Carolina: www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g28961-South_Carolina.html

Photos from Tucson, AZ: www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60950-Tucson_Arizona.html

Good luck with the project!
  8. Theresa111
    0 votes
    Theresa111 (8/07/11)
    Seems like you will have a lot to share with your children.
  9. amybyrd21
    0 votes
    amybyrd21 (8/08/11)
    Yall are great. We start next week so I will get all this together for them. Thank you so Much,
    1. Theresa111
      0 votes
      Theresa111 (8/08/11)
      We are excited to be a part of your kids home schooling! We can do more as they have time for our trivia.
  10. Theresa111
    0 votes
    Theresa111 (8/14/11)
    I just found a very good article not only for you and your kids but for all of us as well.

shine.yahoo.com/event/green/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need-2523319/
  11. Theresa111
    0 votes
    Theresa111 (8/18/11)
    Home Schooling is Awesome.
  12. Theresa111
    0 votes
    Theresa111 (8/30/11)
    Hey Amy! Just received a comment on my site and I clicked through. Here is their link. A lot of eye-opening information about mushrooms.

mushrooms-recipes.blogspot.com/

Add Your Comment

Concourse Media