This is a delicious mac and cheese recipe. I combine a corned beef sandwich and mac and cheese to get the perfect warming dinner.
add to shopping list Ingredients
Mornay - Mushroom Sauce:
2 T butter
2 T flour
milk or chicken stock (about 2 C or more)
salt & pepper
1 can cream of mushroom
slice button mushrooms
mix of cheeses (parmesan, pecorino, mozarella, asiago, et. al)
garlic & onion
1 large can of Palm corned beef (or whatever brand you fancy) -- i like Palm as it is chunkier.
1 small can of crushed tomatoes
1 T sugar
salt & pepper
chopped parsley & basil
pats of butter
Start off by preparing the mornay-mushroom sauce.
* In a sauce pan, melt 2 T butter.
* Add (2) heaping T flour and cook off the rawness of the flour for a few mins. Do not brown the flour.
* Then pour in enough chicken stock/plain H20/milk while whisking continuously until you reach the right consistency (Start with (2) cups). When the sauce thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon, you'll know it's ready. Add more stock if needed.
* Season with s&p, a dash of worcestershire sauce & knorr seasoning, a bit of garlic powder and a touch of paprika.
* Then add a whole can of campbell's cream of mushroom and stir well. You may add more liquid if the sauce becomes too thick.
* Throw in a good amount of sliced mushrooms.
* Finally, stir in your cheese(s) of choice (about 1/2) C). I like a mix of parmesan, pecorino, provolone, asiago & mozarella. Heat thoroughly then set aside.
Then move on to the meat sauce.
* Saute a good amount of garlic & onion in a small bit of good olive oil.
* Add a regular can of Palm corned beef (should you prefer to use another kind/brand, just make sure it's(almost) the equivalent amount) and cook for a few minutes. Add more olive oil if needed.
* Add (2) small or (1) large good tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes.
* S&p to taste.
* Add a few tsp of white sugar to balance the acidity from the tomatoes. Adjust saltiness/sweetness to your taste.
* Add some chopped parsley and basil for added flavor. Let simmer for a few minutes and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook 1/2 lb macaroni pasta (I like macaroni shells) in salted boiling H20 until just tender.
* Toss the cooked pasta in the corned beef sauce until well coated and transfer onto a 9 x 12 (or thereabouts) casserole (dish).
Top the pasta with the mornay-mushroom sauce and sprinkle with more cheese.
* Place pats of butter all over the top of the casserole.
* Broil in the oven until cheese has melted and the crust is golden.
Post a Question or Commentblog comments powered by Disqus
Great Meal Ideas & More!