For this version I served it with curried new potatoes and fennel. Toss halved potatoes in your favorite curry or marsala mix with a little oil, salt and pepper. Add to the pan with the chicken about 40 minutes before you figure the bird will be done. Add a quartered fennel bulb and some whole garlic cloves at the same time as the potatoes and it becomes a simple one pan meal!
add to shopping list Ingredients
1. 3 1/2 - 4 lb Whole Chicken
2. Harissa paste (available at Middle Eastern grocery stores)
3. Juice from half a lemon
4. Salt and Pepper
- Take whole chicken and gently loosen the skin between the breasts with your index finger, then gently work your way down and loosen the skin on the thighs. Try not to tear anything.
- Take two heaping tablespoons of harissa paste and dilute with the juice from 1/2 lemon. (If you prefer super spiciness increase the proportion of harissa).
- With a spoon, carefully spread the lemon/harissa mix between the loosened skin and breast and thigh meat.
- Season the birds cavity with salt and pepper and stuff it with 1/2 lemon.
- Place chicken in an oiled roasting pan and begin at high heat (475F/235C) for 15-20 minutes then lower oven temp to 400F (200C) and continue roasting for a further 60 minutes or until juices run clear.
Post a Question or Commentblog comments powered by Disqus
Great Meal Ideas & More!