This was a bit of an experiment that turned out tasting pretty good. Usually, I mix some chili sauce with the japanese mayo, spoon that onto the mussels before baking. Either way, it makes for a great-looking appetizer.
add to shopping list Ingredients
12 mussels on a half-shell
scallions, thinly chopped
sweet red bell pepper, small dice
salt and pepper to taste
smooth chili sauce (i use sriracha)
japanese mayonnaise (i used kewpie brand)
cold butter (about 4 slivers, with each sliver cut into 4 squares)
1. peel and devein shrimp. chop as finely as possible.
2. prepare vegetable component by finely chopping and combining with shrimp. salt and pepper to taste.
3. in a small bowl, combine about 3 tablespoons of japanese mayonnaise with half a teaspoon sugar and a teaspoon of sriracha or whatever chili sauce you have.
4. mix sauce with shrimp and spoon onto mussels on a half shell.
5. bake uncovered in oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
6. when topping turns pink, place 1 square of butter on top.
7. return to bake at 300 for 4 minutes until bubbly and brown.
8. serves about 3-4 people. (can be served with a wedge of lime and cucumber slices to cool the heat of the chili.)
Post a Question or Commentblog comments powered by Disqus
Great Meal Ideas & More!